Skip to main content

Ephesians 5:15-17

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.

Ephesians 5:15-17

 

What does it say?

Paul is advising the church at Ephesus to be on guard about how they live knowing that our time on earth is short. Moreover, that the return of Christ is imminent so be alert and walk in the way of Christ.

 

What questions do I have about what it says?

O How should the wise walk?

-          The wise is contrasted with the unwise and specifically in regard to the stewardship of time. Because Paul is also linking this with evil days or time until the Lord returns it stands to reason that the wise would be about the work of the Kingdom of God proclaiming the testimonies of the Lord and living a life that is continually transformed producing fruits of the Spirit in their life.

O What does making the most of my time look like?

-          Living with intention. Not being passive or reactionary but proactively pursuing the knowledge of God and leaning into the opportunities He gives us to grow in Christ like character.

O What are the characteristics of the foolish/unwise?

-          A person that pays no mind to the brevity of life and lets opportunities to slip by. A constant procrastinator that chooses to please self now and puts off the important things that can be done today.

O What is the will of the Lord?

-          The will of the Lord is to be aware of the imminent return of Jesus Christ. To intentionally testify to the work and person of Jesus Christ and continually rejuvenated and sanctified by the power of the Holy Spirit.

 

What does the text mean?

Be diligent with the time that you have. Live in the fear/awareness of the coming of Christ and the work and snares of the enemy.

 

How does the text apply to me?

I’m struck by the urgency that Paul communicates about needing to be ready for the return of Christ and to live a life in keeping with repentance. I am convicted by the time that I waste in pursuing things that do not lead to my sanctification. Moreover, engaging in or disengaging from the things that lead to producing Christ-like character in my life. I reflect on the times when I struggle to set time spent with God as a priority in my life and neglect or put off times of prayer. I’m especially aware of this in my interactions with my family and the need to be a spiritual leader that takes initiative to first allow myself to be led by Jesus so that I am able to lead my family in spiritual things.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jeremiah 23:23-24

Am I a God who is near," declares the Lord, "And not a God far off? 24 Can a person hide himself in hiding places So that I do not see him?" declares the Lord. "Do I not fill the heavens and the earth?" declares the Lord. 1. What does it say? Summarize the text in your own words. a. God asserts His omnipresence and omniscience b. God declares there is nowhere that man can hide from Him. 2. What questions do I have about what it says? a. What motivated God to declare His omnipresence and omniscience in this context? b. Is it possible to hide from God? c. Why would a person hide from God? When do they hide from Him? d. What implications does God's omnipresence have for our relationship with Him? 3. What does the text mean? a.  God's declaration of His omnipresence and omniscience is a response to the false prophets who were misleading the people of Judah. These prophets claimed to have special knowledge from God, but their messages were often contradictor