Skip to main content

John 10:28

I give them eternal life and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.
Jn 10:28

What does it say?
Jesus is speaking to his disciples and tells the crowd listening to Him that he gives them life. This is in comparison to what the thief gives in Jn 10:10. Jesus contrasts the things that the thief gives with the abundant life He provides.
Jesus qualifies the life he gives by saying that it is eterrnal. Those who receive life from Him will never die.
Jesus also identifies Himself as the giver of life in equating life to being in His hand and death to being outside of His hand.


What questions do I have about what it says?
O How do I know if I am in God's hand?
-Jesus says that those who hear Him
O How do I know if I have eternal life?
O Does eternal life and not perishing mean I won't die? I see people that say they are Christians but I've seen them die. Is Jesus a liar?

What does the text mean?
Jesus is the giver of life. Eternal life can only be experienced in relationship and fellowship with Jesus Christ. If Jesus carries us in His hand we can not be removed because there is no one more powerful than our Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus affirms that no one is greater than God and that He and the Father are one. Jesus asserts that He is God.

How does the text apply to me?
This verse encourages me to trust in Jesus and His gift of salvation. I know that I am saved and have relationship with Him. I know that I am saved because I have faith that Jesus is Salvation and that He is Life. Jesus said that those who belong to Him will hear His voice and believe. Only those that belong to Christ will recognize, respond and obey the call of Jesus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jeremiah 23:23-24

Am I a God who is near," declares the Lord, "And not a God far off? 24 Can a person hide himself in hiding places So that I do not see him?" declares the Lord. "Do I not fill the heavens and the earth?" declares the Lord. 1. What does it say? Summarize the text in your own words. a. God asserts His omnipresence and omniscience b. God declares there is nowhere that man can hide from Him. 2. What questions do I have about what it says? a. What motivated God to declare His omnipresence and omniscience in this context? b. Is it possible to hide from God? c. Why would a person hide from God? When do they hide from Him? d. What implications does God's omnipresence have for our relationship with Him? 3. What does the text mean? a.  God's declaration of His omnipresence and omniscience is a response to the false prophets who were misleading the people of Judah. These prophets claimed to have special knowledge from God, but their messages were often contradictor